Ministerial and Parliamentary Services

Finance's third outcome – Support for Parliamentarians and others as required by the Australian Government through the delivery of, and advice on, work expenses and allowances, entitlements and targeted programs – encompasses services to many different clients.

Ministerial and Parliamentary Services (MaPS) oversees the provision of non-travel related expenses and services to Parliamentarians and their respective employees. MaPS also provides high quality, secure and confidential car-with-driver services (COMCAR) to a range of eligible clients, including the Governor-General, Prime Minister, Federal Parliamentarians, Federal Judiciary and Heads of Commonwealth agencies. COMCAR also facilitates delivery of transport services for Guest of Australian Government Visits and major events.

The expenses are administered according to the Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017. This framework has been in effect since 1 January 2018.

The Ministerial and Parliamentary Services website provides Parliamentarians and their employees with guidance and advice relating to work expenses.

The Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (IPEA) was established on 1 July 2017. IPEA oversees the travel related work expenses of Parliamentarians and their employees. More about IPEA and its functions is available on the IPEA website.

More detail about the legislative framework surrounding parliamentary expenses is available through the Policies, legislation and guidelines button.

Allegations of Misuse

What happens when Finance receives a complaint of potential misuse of a non-travel work expense?

The Protocol - Handling of potential Misuse of Non-Travel related Work Expenses by the Department of Finance sets out the processes for how Finance manages a complaint of a potential misuse of a non-travel work expense by a Senator or Member.

Finance does not generally respond to those who have made complaints of potential misuse of work expenses, or respond to enquiries regarding such complaints.

Policies and guidelines

Guidance on the MaPS website.

Legislative framework

Legislative Framework on the MaPS website.

Did you find this content useful?